Book Discussion Kits @RHPL
See which of our book discussion kits are currently available now. To download a printable PDF of our Book Discussion Kit titles, click here.
If you belong to a book discussion group or you would like to start one, and you live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills or Oakland Township, you're invited to check out our selection of book discussion kit titles provided by the Friends of the Rochester Hills Public Library. Each kit contains multiple copies of a title selected specifically for book discussions by our librarians.
- Book discussion kits may be checked out for eight weeks to library cardholders who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township.
- Persons who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills and Oakland Township may place holds to reserve book discussion kits.
- No more than two kits at a time may be checked out to an individual.
- Book discussion kits may be renewed once if there are no holds.
- If they are not currently checked out, book discussion kits may be reserved two months in advance by calling Outreach Services at 650-7150.
- Overdue book discussion kits will be fined $1.00 a day. Kits that are returned incomplete will be fined $1.00 a day once the due date is reached until the missing part is returned.
- Book discussion kits must be returned to the Outreach Services desk. Do not put kits in book drop boxes.
- Please check contents of book discussion kits against the content list included in the kit before you return the kit to the library. Replacement cost of an entire kit is $180.00. Replacement cost of individual parts of the kit will depend on the cost of each particular item.
- Please direct any book discussion kit question to an Outreach Services Librarian or call 650-7150.
Do you have a book you'd like to request to be made into a book discussion kit? Please fill out this form and a librarian will contact you.
What are other book clubs reading?
Interested in seeing what other local groups are reading? Need more suggestions for great books to read and discuss? Click here to download a bibliography of compiled reading lists from Rochester area book clubs.
Library Discussion Groups
Join our library discussion groups, Between the Lines, to discuss a variety of books. All discussions are led by library staff and are held in the second floor conference room. Newcomers are always welcome. Registration with a RHPL library card is required. Click here for more information.
Resources for Starting and Maintaining a Book Club
Click here to browse a variety of books on starting and maintaining a book club.
Premium Online Resources
- The Rochester Hills Public Library subscribes to Premium Online Resources that you can access at any time with your library card number. NoveList is a guide to fiction and includes author read-alikes, titles in series, award winners, book discussion guides, and more.
Reading Group Guides
Check out these web sites for reading group guides:
Internet Resources for Book Discussions
Check out these web sites for resources for your Book Discussion group:
- Bookspot features resources for new and established groups with links to reviews, authors, reading lists, online discussions and more
- BookClubGirl blog dedicated to great books, news and tips for book clubs
- Good Reads from the Rochester Hills Public Library includes recommended titles for adults, teens, and family classics
- Overbooked includes reviews, author and publisher information, and annotated reading lists
- LitLovers includes resources for selecting titles, thinking and talking about them, and short courses to boost literary skills
- Reading Group Choices iPad App free App to access thousands of books selected specifically for book discussions