About the Friends of RHPL
The Friends of the Library is an organization that is dedicated to building a close relationship between the library and its patrons. We achieve our goals primarily through membership dues and fund raising.
Among the purposes of the organization are the following:
- Promote knowledge of and informed interest in the library’s functions, resources, services and needs.
- Encourage community participation in library activities.
- Raise funds for projects, activities or acquisitions in excess of those provided for by the general library budget at the discretion of the Friends Board of Directors.
- Provide support for programs for the extension and improvement of library services and resources.
We achieve our goals primarily through membership dues and fundraising.
50th Year Business Anniversaries
50th Year Business Anniversaries
Please click on the businesses' name to bring you to our online poster (will open in PDF form). By clicking the year associated with the business, you will be redirected to their main website.
Donate Materials to Friends of RHPL
Guidelines for Donating Materials
All materials must be in reasonably good condition. We cannot accept books that are dirty, moldy, or musty.
- Hardcover and paperback books
- Textbooks that are less than 10 years old
- Videos, CDs, cassettes, DVDs
- Books on Tape
- Computer Software and Books
- Encyclopedia sets in very good condition and less than 25 years old
- National Geographic Magazines
- Readers Digest Condensed Books
- Textbooks over 10 years old
- Records and Vinyl
WE DO NOT ACCEPT:
If you have a large donation and need help unloading it, please call the library before coming to make sure there is a volunteer available to help you. Volunteers are generally here Monday through Friday in the morning. For other arrangements, call 248-650-7178.
Donate Money to the Friends of RHPLPlease consider donating a financial gift to the Friends of the Rochester Hills Public Library. All money donated to the Friends goes to support Library programs as well as providing funds for projects, activities, and acquisitions in excess of those provided by the general library budget. Examples of items the library has been able to purchase with Friends donated funds include: the aquarium in the lobby, the bookmobile, the second floor computers for use by the public, and the completion of the new second floor used book room, plus many more items. Also, when you look in the library's "News and Views" you will notice the Friends logo attached to many adult and children's programs that are underwritten by the Friends.Donating to the Friends helps to keep the Rochester Hills Public Library vibrant and up to date.Friends Board of Directors"The Friends of the Rochester Hills Public Library is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law."
Friends of RHPL Board Meetings
Friends Board Meetings for 2017
All meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of the month in the Board Room, located in the Library's Administration Area and begin at 7 P.M. The public is invited to attend.
Monthly Board Meeting Dates:
- January 24
- February 28
- March 28
- April 25
- May 23
- June 27
- July - No Meeting(s)
- August 22
- September 26
- October 24
- November 28
- December - No Meeting(s)
Join Friends of RHPL
Why Join The Friends
Membership in the Friends is open to any person or organization interested in the purposes the Friends have established. Through payment of membership dues, you help the Friends achieve many of our goals. Beyond that though, what’s in it for you?
- Friends members are eligible to attend the Friends Preview night of all Used Book Sales, having the opportunity to get first choice at the prime books.
- Friends members receive a 10% discount on all purchases at the Friends Library Store.
- Friends members receive the twice yearly newsletter filled with news about the activities of the organization and offering a coupon for additional savings at the Friends Library Store.
- Friends members help make possible the FREE programs that make the RHPL such a tremendous asset to our community.
What's Involved in Being a Friend?
You don’t have to do anything once you’ve paid your dues. You can sit back and enjoy the benefits. But if you’d like to feel that you’re contributing more to your library and your community, there are a number of ways in which you can do that.
Everything the Friends does is done by volunteers. The Friends Used Book Sales are run and coordinated by a hard-working, dedicated and fun-loving group of people who have made our Used Book Sales the envy of libraries far and wide. You can help, and we’d love to have you join us!
The Friends Library Store is managed and staffed entirely by volunteers who know the importance of unique, high-quality items and personal, friendly customer service. You can help, and we’d love to have you join us!
What about the annual Friends Holiday Home Tour (formerly the Holly Walk)? 100% volunteer organized and run for 15 years by people who take time out of their busy pre-holiday schedules to bring the community one of its most memorable yearly events.You can help, and we’d love to have you join us!
You can help! We are always looking for people who want to get involved in the good work we are doing. When you fill out your Friends Membership Application Form, which is available online, in the store and in the Library, just indicate what you might like to do. Or call the Friends Membership line, 248-650-7160, and leave a message indicating in what areas you’re most interested. Friends Volunteer Opportunities are available in many areas of interest. You can also stop by the Friends Store and fill out an application to work there, or call the Used Book Sale line, 248-650-7178, for information on how you can help with the sales.
Friends Membership Annual Dues
Individual Family Senior Senior Couple $20.00 $35.00 $10.00 $20.00*Please make all checks payable to Friends of RHPL.
*Dues may be tax deductible*Senior rates for ages 62 & over