RHPL Updates: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information
The library is Currently in Phase Three of its Reopening Plan.
The plan is in place to allow us to open to the public safely and responsibly and to pivot back to previous phases if COVID-19 cases should rise and new shut-downs announced.
The health and safety of library visitors, employees, and volunteers is our number one priority and, as a result, your library experience will feel a little different when you return. We value everyone’s continued support in helping us maintain a healthy and safe environment in the library.
The library resumed regular operating hours on July 6.
Grab & Go service allows you to browse the shelves and check out items to enjoy outside of the library. To reopen to the public, we must adhere to numerous state laws and follow advice from state and local health officials so that all may enjoy a safe work and community environment. We will stay safe to stay open.
You can expect the following changes and guidelines:
- Visitors experiencing any COVID-19 related symptoms should not enter the library.
- Occupancy is limited to 180 visitors at a time.
- All RHPL visitors five years old and older are required to wear a face mask covering the nose and mouth when in the library and interacting with others. Disposable face masks will be available at the library entrance for those who do not have one. Visitors who cannot wear a face mask for medical reasons are encouraged to use the library’s drive-thru services.
- Visitors not of the same household must maintain distancing of six feet or more.
- Library items returned through our dropbox and automated return will be set aside for up to 96 hours before recirculating to the public.
- Hand sanitizer stations are visible throughout the library.
- Plexiglass dividers are installed at all reference and circulation desks to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Public computers will be available for limited times and must be reserved through an RHPL librarian.
- All study and meeting rooms are closed.
- The computer lab and the Makerspace room are closed.
- Toys, puzzles, water fountains, vending machines, and other frequently touched items are closed or not available.
- RHPL staff regularly disinfects all high-touch surface areas and the library has increased cleaning protocols and ventilation throughout the building.
To make distancing easier, our lobby entrances are marked with arrows for visitors coming into the library and those exiting the library. The staircase is marked with arrows for going up and coming down. Floor stickers are in place to help visitors maintain safe distances while standing in line.
Additionally, visitors are encouraged to use the self-checkout stations and to continue using the library’s many online resources, as well as our drive-thru services and automated return. Many library needs can also be handled over the phone by calling (248) 656-2900 or sending our management team an email using the Contact Us form.
We thank you for your patience and understanding over the last few months and as we continue to move through these challenging times.