The Big Blue Bus
The Big Blue Bus is filled with books, music and puppets for children, ages birth to 5 years old. Each week, the Big Blue Bus visits day cares in the community and hosts storytimes for young students.
This bookmobile was purchased and is funded through a generous donation from the Doris & Charles Edie Estate. As Library Trustee, Madge Lawson observes, "The real legacy of Doris Edie will be the children whose lives will be touched by her generous gift. It will last longer than the bus itself as early literacy can lead to strong readers and new paths throughout a lifetime."
- Collections The Big Blue Bus carries a variety of items for children, ages birth to kindergarten, including board books, book & CD sets, music CDs, books on DVD, and picture books.
- Computers One staff computer allows access to the library's circulation system for the checking in and out of materials. The staff is also able to search the Rochester Hills Public Library's catalog of materials and Research Databases.
- Purchase Made possible by a generous gift of the Doris and Charles Edie Estate, the library took delivery of the used bookmobile in November of 2011. During December 2011 and January 2012, the vehicle was re-fitted and the library's name was added.
- Schedule The Big Blue Bus provides early literacy library service to day cares and preschools in Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Oakland Township. The length of each bookmobile stop depends on the number of children served at each location. For more information on the Big Blue Bus schedule you can call 248-650-7150.
- Services The Big Blue Bus is focused on providing early literacy services to preschoolers in our community.
- Staffing The Big Blue Bus operates with two staff persons on the vehicle at all times. Daily staffing includes a driver/clerk and a librarian. All drivers must earn their Michigan Chauffeur's license and pass a Department of Transportation medical exam. Driving records are verified for insurance purposes.